Did you know that July 29 was National Lipstick Day? Are you curious why this holiday even exists and how it got started? A beauty insider purchased the rights to this holiday in 2016 in order to promote sales for newly launched beauty products.
Lipstick is one of the most feminine makeup products and has always been a symbol of personal style and status. Everyone from Cleopatra to Queen Elizabeth was known to have their own unique look. Today, lipstick still remains a main staple in every woman’s wardrobe.
Five Lipstick Facts
- During World War II, when the manufacturing of all cosmetics was banned in Britain, Winston Churchill made an exception only for lipstick in order to boost the morale of the population.
- Elizabeth Taylor was a big fan of red lips. She even insisted that the characters she played sport red lips in all her films.
- Believe it or not, the most popular lip cosmetics are not red lipsticks – not even pink ones – but light balms and glosses.
- Marketing experts noted that sales for lipsticks increase on cloudy or rainy days.
- Studies show that the average American woman spends $15,000 for beauty products during her lifetime, and $1,780 of that amount goes toward lipstick. Believe it or not, $1,780 is not even enough money for the most expensive lipstick on the planet, which sells for a hefty sum of $62,000. If you think this is vanity, I would say it’s insanity.
A recent study done amongst 1,000 American women found that the lipstick color you wear makes an impression on others. So read my lips and find out what your shade of lipstick says about you.
Red: You’re confident, command attention, and enjoy being high-powered.
Light Pink: You’re sweet as sugar, but that doesn’t stop you from having fun. People are drawn to your infectious personality.
Hot Pink: You’re the life of the party wherever you go.
Purple: You’re the wild card amongst your friends, spontaneous, and constantly seeking adventure.
Nude: You’re practical and mean business. Others trust you to do things right the first time.
Risselle Naimark is a Professional Freelance Makeup Artist and Skincare Consultant. She carries an extensive line of personalized skincare, cosmetics, and anti-aging products. Risselle is also available for weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, makeup lessons, and all of your beauty needs. She can be reached at 718 263-5517.