Close-set eyes are defined by having less than the width of an eye between them. If this description applies to your eyes, read on. The following five beauty tips will help create the illusion of wider eyes.
- Primer: The first step before applying eye makeup is using a shadow primer all over your eye, from lid to brow, or including brow if you will be filling in the area with an eyebrow pencil. To set the primer, you may either apply a light coat of loose or pressed powder or a light and neutral shadow base color.
- Eyebrows: Brows are considered a beautiful frame for your eyes, and the right shape can certainly help enhance them. Create a nice arch and then extend your eyebrows a bit past the outer eye in order to draw the viewer’s attention outward.
- Eye Shadow: When applied correctly you can create the illusion of wider eyes. You need a few good shadow colors to work with in order to achieve the best results. Place a very light or shimmery color in the inner area of the lids, especially near the tear ducts. You can even opt for a creamy formula in this space. This will create an illusion of distance between the eyes. Next, use a medium shade from the middle of the lid until the outer end of the eye. To widen the eye and give it some depth, sweep the deepest shadow color on the outer third of the eye, starting from the middle of the crease, and extend it past the outer edge of the eye in order to lengthen it. Then highlight the outer half of the browbone with a bright, light, and shimmery color to draw attention upward and outward.
- Eyeliner: Liner can make or break this look, so tread carefully. Many women are used to rimming their entire eye. This does not work well for close-set eyes, as it will only serve to accentuate the eye’s natural shape. Instead, line both the top and bottom of eye halfway. Begin from the middle of the eye and bring the eyeliner out, winging and extending the end past the outer edge in order to create a winged cat eye, which will widen the eye. You can choose a bright shade that will enhance the natural color of your eye. This may work better than the typical black wing. Using a white or beige-color liner in the inner waterline and on the inner V of the eye will also help create an illusion of wider eyes.
- Lashes: You need to concentrate placing more mascara on the outer third of the eye in order to draw attention there. You can also apply a bit of colored mascara over the black, but only on the outer third of the eye. Another trick is to add a few false lashes just to the outer part of the eyes, which will accentuate the outer lashes, thus expanding the look of your eye.
Eyes are the beautiful windows to your soul and the nicest feature to enhance. Since eye makeup is never a one-size-fits all, it’s most effective to know how to personalize your eye makeup to the shape of your eyes.
Risselle Naimark is a Professional Freelance Makeup Artist and Skincare Consultant. She carries an extensive line of personalized skincare, cosmetics, and anti-aging products. Risselle is also available for weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, makeup lessons, and all of your beauty needs. She can be reached at 718 263-5517.