Any tips for the Nine Days, which start this week?
Sure, check out my Nine Days tips listed below:
Think outside the (macaroni and cheese) box.
- Fish: Make it exciting, though. For example, make fish kabobs or fish burgers. Make a kani salad or even make your own sushi. Try a different type of fish instead of the typical salmon and tilapia.
- Veggie burgers: Dr. Praeger’s or Morning Star are good selections.
- Omelets are not just for breakfast anymore. Get creative by making a shakshuka (Israeli style), for example.
- Low-fat cheese: You can make a spinach or broccoli sauté using PAM and add in reduced-fat cheese. Or take a baked potato, top with broccoli, and add cheese on top to melt.
- Reduced-fat peanut butter: Spread onto an apple, celery sticks, or baby carrots for a delicious snack/mini meal.
- Drink your protein: A cup of milk or a light yogurt can be a protein, so make a smoothie using fruits and either milk or yogurt.
- Falafel: Dagim makes frozen falafel balls that are low in calories and fat. Four to five balls count as a protein.
How do you have your mac and cheese?
Measure half a cup of pasta (after it is cooked), add 1-2 oz. reduced-fat cheese and have a lot of veggies with it as a salad or added to the pasta itself.
Note: Whole wheat pasta will keep you fuller longer than white pasta.
Alice Harrosh, is a nutrition counselor and manager at Nutrition by Tanya, with 10 locations plus a brand-new one in Queens. Alice knows that making healthy choices is not always easy, as she has been through the struggle herself. As an optimistic person, Alice’s favorite quote is: “It’s never too late to start eating better. If you have a bad morning, make it a better afternoon.” For more information on Nutrition by Tanya or the TAP (Tanya-approved products) food line, please visit www.nutritionbytanya.com or call 844-Tanya-Diet (844-826-9234). For daily tips and inspiration, you may follow @nutritionbytanya on Instagram.
Borough Park 3817 13th Avenue 11218 Ext. 816
Flatbush 1511 E. 28th Street Front Door 11229 Ext. 817
Williamsburg 146 Spencer Street Suite #2010 11205 Ext. 818
5 Towns 85 Elderd Lane 11516 Ext. 820
Lakewood 130 1st Street Suite #203 08701 Ext. 821
Monsey 7 Twin Avenue Basement Suite 10977 Ext. 822
Monroe New Business Center Suite #513 10950 Ext. 823
Jerusalem Rav Shefa Mall 2nd Floor Ext. 824
Queens 72-38 Main Street 11367 Ext. 825
Upstate Fitness Factory (SUMMER ONLY) 12701 Ext. 826