Borekas are seriously one of my ultimate favorite appetizer dishes in the world. This version is filled with spiced meat and nuts. Might sound a little wacky, but it’s awesome! I decided to make a family-size braided one, you know, just for fun. You won’t believe how easy it is to make, guys!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, completely thawed
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or pistachios (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 egg yolk (for egg wash)
1. In a wide pan, sauté the onion in oil for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
2. Add in the ground beef and break it up into small crumbles using a spoon.
3. Season the meat with spices and salt; taste to adjust. Once the meat is cooked through, allow to cool.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll out the puff pastry sheet to 1/8 of an inch thick.
5. Fil the center of the puff pastry with the cooked meat mixture.
6. Cut 2-inch-long strips on each side of the filling. Then, starting from the top, fold the dough over the meat, alternating sides to create a braided look.
7. Brush with the egg yolk and top with sesame seeds. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes until the dough is golden brown and cooked through.