I overdid it on Shavuos by really letting loose and now I regret it. Is there a liquid diet or a cleanse that you recommend just for a few days to reset my body? Once I lose the few pounds I will definitely go back to your healthy balanced plan.
Overdid it and Regretful
Dear Overdid it and Regretful,
You are asking a great question. It seems like a quick fix to detox for a few days and get rid of all the extra calories that we consumed fast, after which we can return to moderate eating and steady weight loss.
While in theory this makes sense, in reality it never works. I have seen hundreds if not thousands of clients and have found that the fastest and most consistent fix for losing the extra weight from a bad day or weekend is to just simply get right back on plan. You can skip snacks in favor of lighter fare such as fruit, but do not cleanse and do not drastically cut calories, even for a day or two. It simply doesn’t work. You will lose a bit of water weight but will be too hungry to keep to a moderate plan once you are done cleansing. Additionally, you will slow your metabolism so that everything you eat post-cleanse simply sticks to your waistline.
Your best bet is to continue eating according to your plan, leaving off any unnecessary extras such as treats or extra fruits. After a few days, the extra calories will be gone, and you will be back on your weight loss journey. Do not try to speed up the process.
Here are some do’s and don’ts for getting back on track.
- Go on the scale to see where you are at. Did you gain? Stay the same? Lose? This is not meant to put you in a bad mood, but rather to face reality.
- Write out your menu for the week ahead so that you are completely prepared and stocked up.
- Get professional help from a nutritionist. This is a great time to commit for a while since there are no holidays coming up for now.
- Get rid of any leftovers so that there are fewer temptations.
- Start a food journal documenting what you eat (and sometimes even why)
- Go on the scale too frequently (more than once or twice a week). This will discourage you as numbers change week to week and not necessarily day to day.
- Beat yourself up over what you ate or how much you gained. It is in the past.
- Go on a deprivational or starvation plan just to lose the weight quickly. This will only slow down your metabolism and cause you to feel deprived.
- Forget that we have over 20 weeks of holiday free to make up for those 20 plus meals.
- Set unrealistic goals. 1-2 pounds a week is considered healthy weight loss.
Creamy Zuchini Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or fat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped (yellow or white)
- 2 pounds zucchini, cut into ½ inch slices, larger ones halved
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock, preferably low sodium
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium, high heat. Add garlic and onions, and cook for 3-4 minutes until they are light golden brown.
- Add zucchinis, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until zucchini is very soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Count as free!
Alice Harrosh is a Nutrition Counselor and Manager at Nutrition by Tanya, with 14 locations, including one on Main street in Queens! Alice knows that making healthy choices is not always easy, as she has been through the struggle herself. As an optimistic person, Alice’s favorite quote is: “It’s never too late to start eating better. If you have a bad morning, make it a better afternoon.” For more information on Nutrition by Tanya or the TAP (Tanya approved products) food line, please visit www.nutritionbytanya.com or call 844-Tanya-Diet (844-826-9234). For daily tips and inspiration, you may follow @nutritionbytanya on Instagram. Our beautiful and healthy new cookbook, Cooking with Tanya, is now available in Judaica stores or through the Menucha Publishing website.