These French onion meatballs are absolutely addictive! Tender meatballs slow cooked in a silky onion sauce, it’s delicious served over mashed potatoes or white rice. You will definitely impress with this dish!
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or ½ teaspoon dry rosemary
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in ¼ cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the meatball ingredients until just mixed evenly; do not over mix.
- Heat up a wide pot on high heat and sauté the onions in the oil for 10 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Deglaze the pot with the red wine. Once the wine simmers add in the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Once the sauce is boiling, shut the flame and nestle the meatballs in the sauce.
- Cover the pot and transfer to an oven set to 400 degrees. Cook for 1 hour.